We're often asked about dog-friendly options in our area. Here are a few choices.
The local beaches are a great choice for your dog to enjoy and explore the outdoors! However, the rules for dogs depend on which beach you’re visiting so be sure to pay careful attention.
- No time restrictions in Ponte Vedra Beach. In St. Johns County, your dog must always be on a leash unless it’s in the water. Also, you always have to clean up after your furry friend.
- Atlantic Beach: Dogs are allowed on the beach at all times and must be on a leash no longer than 12 feet. Make sure your dog's collar displays its current rabies tag.
- Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach: April 1st-September 30th dogs are only allowed on the beach from 9am-5pm. Any other day, the dogs are allowed on the beach all day everyday! Just be aware of the rules!
Our area offers a great spread of dog parks throughout the community. Here are just a few examples:
- Davis Park: Located right by Ponte Vedra High School, Davis Park includes fun for the whole family with 1 artificial turf field, 4 soccer fields, 3 football fields, 4 softball fields, and 6 baseball fields. Davis Park has two fenced in dog parks and a dog wash station!
- 20 Mile Dog Park: Located in Nocatee and open to all Nocatee residents. It is an off leash dog park with ample room for your dog to enjoy!
- Paws Park at Wingate Park: Located in Jacksonville Beach, Paws Park features a gorgeous dog themed mural. Open from 5am to 10pm, 7 days a week, this park will be a treat for you and your furry friend.
- Brewhound Dog Park and Bar: Just a few miles north of Ponte Vedra in Neptune Beach, “Brewhound is a unique gathering place for dogs and their owners to play and mingle outside, enjoy delicious cold (or hot) beverages, and relax in the beautiful sunshine.”
Dog Friendly Hiking Trails
There are many dog-friendly hiking trails in our area. You might want to consider these options:
- Guana Reserve: With a scenic drive down A1A, GTM Research Reserve provides educational opportunities, hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails, and a dune walkover in its more than 73,000 acres of protected land. Dogs must be leashed at all times throughout the Reserve.
- Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens is an awesome pet-friendly hiking spot. This 120-acre urban woodland is full of trails for you to explore and enjoy with your pooch. In addition, over three miles of rustic hiking trails wind quietly through a series of distinct ecological habitats.
- Julington Creek Animal Walk: Although it's a 25 minutes drive from Ponte Vedra, this hike (pun intended) is well worth it. Julington Creek Animal Walk in Jacksonville, FL, is a veterinarian facility that includes a beautiful 9-acre off-leash dog park with wooded hillsides, agility course, doggie swimming pools, and more. You will need to purchase Fido a membership to gain access to the park.
The Lisa Barton Team Dogs certainly approve of these great places! Check out their cute faces below!
Lisa Barton, the owner of Lisa Barton Team Ponte Vedra Beach - Keller Williams Realty Atlantic Partners, is a top real estate agent in Ponte Vedra Beach and the surrounding communities. Lisa specializes in luxury real estate sales, including gated communities, waterfront properties, and estate homes. A graduate from the University of Florida and George Mason University, Lisa currently resides in Marsh Landing with her husband.